CSS Menu Buttons Css3Menu.com

CSS Menu Buttons Css3Menu.com

 

CSS Menu Buttons Css3Menu.com

LONDON TOPOGRAPHY

 Items of stock will be added throughout 2015

Anon

Somerset House in its original state.

Published 11th October 1809 by W. Herbert and R. Wilkinson, No. 58 Cornhill, London

19th century engraving.

Sheet size: 412 x 289 mm

Trimmed within the plate mark. A repaired tear within the image.

Price: £45

This view exhibits SOMERSET HOUSE, previous to the alterations made by Inigo Jones, to fit it for the use of Queen Henrietta Maria, wife of Charles 1st. Adjoining it is the SAVOY, and immediately behind it, the only view extant of EXETER HOUSE. Further on is WORCESTER HOUSE and Stairs, and SUFFOLK HOUSE. The building in the distance are WHITEHALL and WESTMINSTER ABBEY; opposite to which are LAMBERT CHURCH and PALACE.  

 

R. Godfrey after T. Sandby

Whitehall. Engravíd from an original Drawing. July 1, 1775

19th century (?) impression of an 18th century engraving.

Plate size: 230 x 183 mm

Weak impression. Some surface abrasion.

Price: £18

A detailed rendering of Whitehall in the 18th century by the Royal Academician, Thomas Sandby.

 

(Various images as seen below) Thomas Rowlandson and Augustus Pugin

The Microcosm of London

London, R. Ackermann 1808-10

Aquatints

Original hand-colouring

230x280mm

 

The Microcosm of London

The publisher and drawing master Rudolf Ackermann (1764-1834), had come to London from Germany in his early twenties. A philanthropist and businessman, the money he raised to help Leipzig after its devastation by Napoleon in 1813 made him a public figure in both England and Germany. The Microcosm of London, which combined the comic genius (although kept on a tight leash by Ackermann) of Thomas Rowlandson who executed the figures and the precise architectural draughtsmanship of Augustus Pugin, was intended to provide an intimate look at the the major buildings and landmarks of Georgian London.

 

Thomas Rowlandson and Augustus Pugin

Kings Bench Prison

 

£80

Kings Bench Prison

A view of Kings Bench Prison in Southwark, south London. It served as a prison from medieval times up until 1880 when it was closed down. It took its name from the Kings Bench court of law, which dealt in cases of defamation and bankruptcy among others. However, its name changed to the Queens Prison in 1842 and later on became the Southwark convict Prison. It also served as a debtors prison in the mid 19th century until the practise was abolished in the 1860s. One of the prison's most famous inmates, was the writer John Wilkes, who was imprisoned for writing the famous article 'The North Briton' that criticized George III. His incarceration prompted a riot - better known as the Massacre of St George's Field.

 

Rowlandson and Pugin after J.C. Stadler

Surrey Institution

Published September 1st 1809 at R. Ackermannís Repository of Arts, 101 Strand, London

19th century aquatint with original hand-colouring.

Plate: 271 x 231 mm

In good condition.

Price: £85

An informative and accurate image of the Surrey Institution; an organisation dedicated to the research and study of science literature and music. Lectures were hosted in the Rotunda building, situated on the banks of the Thames.

 

Rowlandson and Pugin after Black

Royal Circus

Published 1st May 1809 at R. Ackermannís Repository of Arts, 101 Strand, London

19th century aquatint with original hand-colouring.

Plate: 272 x 231

In good condition.

Price: £75

The Royal Circus (later known as the Surry Theatre) was opened in 1782 by Charles Dibdin (a composer and songwriter) on Blackfriars road in London, with the help of Charles Hughes, a well-known equestrian performer. Known originally as the Royal Circus and Equestrian Philharmonic Academy, it was one of many circuses that provided contemporary London entertainment including both horsemanship and drama.

 

Anon (artist's signature illegible)

VuŽ du Canal, du Batiment Chinois, de la Rotonde, et des Jardins de Ranelagh un jour de rejouissance.

Paris chez Mesard rue Greneta, a la renommťe de la Cornemuse (Paris c.1790)

Copper engraving with period hand colouring

Laid down on backing card

268 x 414mm

£120

A View of the Canal, Chinese Building, Rotunde in Ranelagh Gardens, with Masquarade &c.

A naively executed view of the floating chinese pavillion, with the Rotunda in the background, in Ranelagh Pleasure Gardens, Chelsea, west London, enlivened with fashionable patrons in exotic fancy dress. Ranelagh Pleasure Gardens were laid out in 1742. The Rotunda, built by William Jones, a surveyor for the East India Company, was 150 feet in diameter and heated by an enormous four sided fireplace in the centre which also formed part of the support for the roof. Around the walls were booths for eating and drinking, and an orchestra in which Mozart once played. The extensive gardens were laid out in a series of walks and groves, dimly lit at night with chinese lanterns, providing ideal trysting places for lovers. By the beginning of the nineteenth century the gardens had become a resort for less fashionable sections of society and the haunt of thieves and pickpockets. In 1803 the Rotunda was demolished and the gardens finally closed two years later. The site is now part of Chelsea Hospital gardens.


click here to go back to the Top of the page