Military and Naval

Back to Main Subject List

also see Portraits and Caricatures

Agostino Aglio. 

(General Don Rafael del Riego)

(Madrid ? c. 1825). Lithograph on india paper; proof before title ? 455x340mm. 


Price: £250

An extremely rare, full length portrait of the Spanish political reformer and soldier General Don Rafael del Riego (fl. 1820-30). During the turbulent years following the defeat of Napoleon in the Peninsula and restoration of the Spanish monarchy and during the reign of Fernando VII, Riego was instrumental in reforming the Spanish constitution along more liberal lines, ending the discrimination against liberals and freemasons and enabling them to return from exile and imprisonment. He wears military uniform and in the background is mountainous scenery with his army and cannon concealed amidst rocks and a distant view of a city.


Andreossy.JPG (41795 bytes)Thomas Gaugain after Anthony Cardon. 

Gl. Andreossy. The Ambassador from France to His Britannic Majesty. 

London, A. Cardon 1803. Stipple engraving. 330x240mm.

Price:  £160

A delicately executed, half length portrait, enclosed in an oval, of  General Andréossy, Napoleon's Ambassador to Britain during the short lived Peace of Amiens 1802-3. Of Hungarian descent, he looks sternly out, wearing a military coat embroidered with oak leaves and a black cravat. The Peace had been principally used by Napoleon as an opportunity to regroup and reorganise his armies. During that time the British Ambassador to France had been Charles, 1st Earl Whitworth (1752-1825). Napoleon had roughly demanded the British evacuation of Malta as a price of lasting peace, a demand that Whitworth had been firmly instructed by Hawkesbury to refuse. On March 13th 1803 Napoleon had summoned the Ambassador to the Tuileries and subjected to him to a violent tirade after which Whitworth noted 'the extreme impropriety of his conduct and the total want of dignity as well as of decency on the occasion.’ The interview was not, however, a final one Whitworth was received by the First Consul once again on 4th April, when the corps diplomatique were kept waiting for an audience for four hours while Napoleon inspected knapsacks. On 1st May an indisposition prevented Whitworth from attending the reception at the Tuileries, on 12th May he demanded his passports, and on 18th May Britain declared war against France. Whitworth reached London on 20th May, having encountered the French Ambassador, Andréossy, three days earlier at Dover. Throughout the trying scenes with the First Consul, Whitworth's demeanour was generally admitted to have been marked by a dignity and an impassibilité worthy of the best traditions of aristocratic diplomacy.


Kingsley William .JPG (38197 bytes)Richard Houston after Sir Joshua Reynolds. 

William Kingsley Esqr. Major General of his Majesty's Forces, Colonel of the 20 Regiment of Foot, and Governor of Fort William in North Britain. 

London, R. Houston, T. Jefferys & Robert Sayer 1760. Mezzotint. 390x275mm. Minor defect top right. 

Price: £140

A fine, half length portrait, enclosed in an oval of Lieutenant Colonel William Kingsley (1698-1769). He has a square, handsome face, and wears a military uniform coat over a steel cuirass. He was a direct descendant of William Kingsley, Archdeacon of Canterbury (d. 1647), from whom Charles Kingsley the novelist also traced his descent. He was aide-de-camp to his colonel, Lord Dunmore, at Dettingen, and was present with the 1st battalion of his regiment at the battle of Fontenoy, where a cannon-ball passed between his legs and killed four men behind him, on 11th May 1745. When the collected Grenadier companies of the several regiments of guards marched from London for the north to quell the Jacobite Rebellion in the following December (depicted in the ‘March to Finchley’ by Hogarth), he was one of the officers sent ahead into Northamptonshire by the Duke of Cumberland to obtain information of the enemy's movements. On 22nd May 1756 Kingsley was made colonel of the 20th Foot. James Wolfe (later hero of Quebec), then lieutenant-colonel of the regiment at Devizes, wrote of him: ‘Our new colonel is a sensible man, and very sociable and polite’. Kingsley was with his regiment in the Rochefort expedition of 1757, and afterwards went to Germany as major-general. He greatly distinguished himself at the battle of Minden on 1st Aug. 1759, at the head of a brigade which was very prominently engaged. ‘Kingsley's Grenadiers,’ as the 20th was popularly called, is said to have fought among some rose-gardens or hedges, a circumstance still commemorated by the regimental custom of wearing ‘Minden roses’ in the caps on each anniversary of the day. Known as an outspoken, independent Englishman, he was extremely popular with his soldiers, and an active Freemason. He was over seventy years of age and unmarried at the time of his death at Kingsley House, Maidstone, on 9th Oct. 1769. He is buried in the family vault at Kennington Ashford, Kent. 


Richard Houston after Sir Joshua Reynolds. 

The Most Noble John Manners, Marquis of Granby, Commander in Chief of the British Forces in Germany, Lieutenant General of the Ordnance and Colonel of the Royal Regiment of Horse Guards. 

London, R. Houston c. 1760. Mezzotint. 390x280mm. Horizontal printers crease. 

Price: £180

A fine,  strong impression. A rare three quarter length portrait of John Manners Marquis of Granby (1721-70), known as the 'Soldier's Friend'. The eldest son of the 3rd Duke of Rutland, he soon distinguished himself while serving with the army in Germany with Prince Ferdinand of Brunswick and became Commander in Chief in 1766. Famous for the courage and liberality of his character, sadly he died at the early age of 49, supposedly of gout of the stomach, at Scarborough in October 1770. The number of pubs named after him is due to his generosity to his old soldiers to whom he donated the wherewithal to buy their own businesses upon their retirement from the army. He is depicted here with a bald head, wearing military uniform, sash, with his right hand resting on his sword and with a battle raging in the background.


Death of Maj.JPG (202776 bytes)A. Kessler after John Singleton Copley. 

The Death of Major Pierson, And the Defeat of the French Troops in the Market Place of Saint Helier in the Island of Jersey, Jany. 6th 1781.

(London, c. 1785). Copper engraving. 470x610mm. Trimmed within platemark & publication line, misc. repairs affecting engraved surface, slight surface abrasion in margins and title area. 

Price: £280

A large, rare, dramatic engraving showing the heroic death at the moment of victory of Major Francis Pierson (1757-81). Pierson is shown in the centre of the design, falling back into the arms of his soldiers, beneath the British Standard, while on the right women and children flee the fighting in terror. Pierson entered the army at an early age, rising to the rank of major in April 1780, when he was appointed to the 95th regiment, which was shortly afterwards stationed in Jersey. At this period the Channel Islands were subjected to the constant danger of attacks from the French, who made several futile attempts to gain possession. By far the most important of these raids was that of 6th  Jan. 1781, known as the ‘Battle of Jersey,’ when the French, under the Baron de Rullecour, a desperate adventurer, landed under cover of night and took possession of the town of St. Helier, making the lieutenant-governor, Major Moses Corbet, a prisoner in his bed. Under these circumstances the command of the troops devolved upon the youthful Peirson. Rullecour succeeded in inducing Corbet to sign a capitulation, and Elizabeth Castle was summoned to surrender, but the officer in command boldly refused to obey the order. Meanwhile the regular troops and the island militia, under the command of Major Pierson, advanced in two divisions towards the Royal Square, then the market-place, where a vigorous engagement took place, resulting in great loss to the French, who, though fighting with great obstinacy, became disordered and were compelled to retire. The victory was complete, but had been gained at the heavy price of the life of a promising young officer, for in the very moment of victory the gallant Pierson was shot through the heart, and fell dead in the arms of his grenadiers. Rullecour himself was mortally wounded, and most of the French soldiers were taken prisoners. Pierson, was interred in the parish church of St. Helier with all the honours of war, and in the presence of the States of the island, who caused a magnificent monument to be erected to his memory. Copley’s famous painting is  now in the National Gallery.


Charles Turner after Thomas Phillips.

Lieut. General the Honourable Henry Edward Fox, Lieut. Governor of Gibraltar &c. &c. &c. 

London, Colnaghi August 17th 1805. Mezzotint. 350x250mm. 

Price: £85

A rare and interesting portrait of Henry Edward Fox (1755-1811), son of Henry Fox 1st Lord Holland and his wife Lady Caroline Lennox, and the youngest brother of the statesman Charles James Fox, whom he greatly resembles. After Westminster School he entered the army, serving throughout the American War of Independence, and it is curious to notice that while Charles James Fox was inveighing against the war with the Americans, his brother Henry was constantly employed in it. On his return to England he was received, perhaps for this reason, with the greatest favour by the king, who made him one of his aides-de-camp with the rank of colonel on 12 March 1783. An able soldier, who had distinguished himself in the war in Flanders, in 1804 Fox was appointed lieutenant-governor of Gibraltar, which, as the titular governor, the Duke of Kent, did not reside there, practically meant governor of that important fortress. From this office he was removed, after his brother's accession to office in 1806, to the command of the army in Sicily, and he was also appointed ambassador to the court of Naples, then residing at Palermo. Sir John Moore was his second in command, and as Fox was in very bad health, Moore really undertook the entire management of both military and diplomatic matters. Soon after his return to England Fox was promoted general on 25 July 1808, and made governor of Portsmouth, where he died on 18 July 1811. He left one son, Henry Stephen Fox, diplomatist, and two daughters, the elder married to General Sir Henry Bunbury, bart., and the younger to General Sir William Napier, K.C.B.


Thomas Hodgetts after Sir Thomas Lawrence.

Thomas Lord Lynedoch. General in His Majesty’s Service, Colonel of the 14th Regiment of Foot; Grand Cross of the Military Order of the Bath.  

(London, c. 1826). Mezzotint, open letter proof. 690x410mm. Narrow margins, trimmed within bottom platemark.

Price:  £130

A fine, full length portrait of Thomas Graham, Lord Lynedoch (1748-1843). He stands wearing military uniform and spurred hessian boots, his sabre resting in his arms. In the background is a burning Spanish town. Agriculturist and soldier. Aide de Camp to Sir John Moore at Corunna and subsequently a highly competent and popular officer, he fought throughout the Peninsula Campaign, returning home to Perthshire at the peace. On 3rd  May 1814 he received the thanks of Parliament, and was created Baron Lynedoch of Balgowan in the peerage of the United Kingdom, but refused the pension of £2,000 a year offered with the title. He became a full general in 1821, was transferred to the colonelcy of the 58th foot in 1823, to the 14th foot in 1826, and to the 1st royals (now Royal Scots) in 1834. He succeeded Lord Harris as governor of Dumbarton Castle in 1829 and is chiefly famous for founding the United Services Club in Pall Mall.


Back to Main Subject List