Topographical Views of Great Britain & Ireland

Click here***** to go back to Catalogue Main Subject List

Including works by and of: LindisfarneHampton CourtWeardley home of the 'Airedale Poet', Watercolour of Helmsley, Yorks. Henley Regatta, Death of Major Pierson on Jersey, Rickmansworth SchoolAbingdon, Sandby's views of Windsor, Silwood Park, , Guernsey,   Haddon Hall, Coventry

********************************************************************************************************************

Augustine Aglio after John Ralston

Black Friars Bridge (Manchester)

Manchester, D. & P. Jackson 1823

Lithograph

315x395mm

Laid onto board

£140

A rare and interesting view of the trestle bridge over the River Irwell. The view shows the tenements backing onto the river, workmen digging on the quay and loaded barges plying up and down the river. The bridge was opened in 1820, intended to link Deansgate with Chapel Street. Although born in Scotland, John Ralston (1789-1833), soon migrated to Manchester, which was rapidly expanding and changing under the pressures of increasing industrialisation. As well as depicting the smarter buildings of Manchester, Ralston was also attracted to make drawings of inner city dereliction and slum dwellings. He was an accomplished violinist and helped found the orchestra of the Manchester Gentlemen's Concert. Unfortunately, he died in poverty, aged only forty four in 1833.

****************************************************************************************************************

 

Hampton Court.JPG (79693 bytes)Anon. 

A View of the Royal Palace of Hampton Court. 

London, August 20th 1760. Copper engraving. Original hand-colouring. 250x400mm. Trimmed to platemark and laid onto card. 

Price: £150 Framed in hand-carved reproduction frame. £100 unframed.

A lively vue d'optique of the Wren buildings at Hampton Court, from the gardens. After the Glorious Revolution of 1688, William and Mary had intended to demolish Wolsey's great Tudor palace, replacing it with a 'new Versailles'. Sir Christopher Wren was appointed to oversee the work, but after Mary's early death in 1694, grief and shortage of money forced William to abandon the plan and only Henry's State Apartments were pulled down. Four splendid new ranges in the classical French Renaissance style were built around the new Fountain Court, and notable artists such as Grinling Gibbons and Louis Laguerre were commissioned to decorate the interiors. Building work finished in 1699, but work on the collections, interiors and gardens continued for many years.

********************************************************************************************************************

Airedale Poet's Cottage Harewood.JPG (26086 bytes)? Dawson.

The Birthplace of John Nicholson, the ‘Airedale Poet’, Born 1790, Died 1843. 

Watercolour on prepared, gilt edged card, 1889. 105x160mm. Verses by Nicholson in ink, in a contemporary hand, on verso. 

Price: £130 

A delicately executed, detailed watercolour sketch of the humble farmhouse, at Weardley, West Yorkshire, birthplace of the rustic ‘Airedale Poet’ John Nicholson (1790-1843). This view shows the single storey, stone built, thatched farmhouse, with water butts and drive in the foreground. Receiving an elementary education, Nicholson became a wool sorter in his father's factory at Eldwick, and followed that occupation to the end of his life, allowing for intervals when he was hawking his poems. Employed eventually by Sir Titus Salt, who became his patron, he followed a dissipated lifestyle, although following the death of his first wife, he briefly became a Medthodist preacher. Nicholson's first published work was ‘The Siege of Bradford’, published in 1821, a dramatic poem which, along with a three-act drama, ‘The Robber of the Alps,’ which he had written for the Bradford old theatre. There were one or two short poems in this work, but it was not until the appearance of ‘Airedale in Ancient Times’ (1825) that Nicholson's claim to rank as a poet was generally recognised. The success of this volume was unique. The whole impression was sold in a few months, and a second edition followed in the same year. The poem, which gained for him the title of ‘the Airedale poet,’ is the best of his larger pieces. It contains some fine descriptions of the scenery of the district and of the various stirring incidents connected with its history. An attempt to seek recognition for his verse in London (where he was derided at as a Yorkshire yokel and figure of fun) failed, and after being involved with the Chartists’ Riots, he acquired a reputation as a drunk and troublemaker. In April 1843, while going on a visit to his aunt at Eldwick, he slipped while drunk into the River Aire, and although he managed to haul himself out was found dead soon after. He was buried in the presence of a large crowd at Bingley churchyard. His verse continued to be printed after his death, in 1876 there were rival editions one edited by Abraham Holroyd and published at Saltaire the other dedicated to Sir Titus Salt. Gradually his verse disappeared and as the generation that had known him vanished, so did he.

********************************************************************************************************************

Fittler after George Robertson

Nottingham Castle. The Seat of His Grace the Duke of Newcastle.

London, J. Fittler Sept. 1st 1789

Copper engraving, open letter proof

345x445mm

Trimmed on platemark, misc marginal repairs, traces of old creases, slight overall time staining

£140

An interesting, picturesque view of Nottingham Castle, perched on its crag above the town, with horsemen, tourists and grazing horses in the fields in the foreground. After the Civil War the original twelfth century fortress, built by William Peverel, was slighted. Subsequently most of  remaining ruins of the medieval castle were destroyed and in 1663 the site was purchased by William Cavendish, 1st Duke of Newcastle, who started to build a magnificent ‘prospect house’ (shown here) on the Castle Rock. Newcastle died before the project was completed, and the house was finished by his son in 1678. In 1831 the house was attacked and gutted by rioters following the Duke’s opposition to Parliamentary Reform, and as a silent rebuke to the people of Nottingham the Duke left the ruined building unrepaired for forty five years. It is now the Nottingham Municipal Museum and Art Gallery.

*****************************************************************************************************************

Boughton Kip.JPG (59452 bytes)John Harris after Thomas Badeslade. 

Boughton within two miles of Northampton; one of the Seats of the Right Honourable Thomas Earl of Strafford, Baron Wentworth of Wentworth Woodhouse &c. 

London, c. 1740. Copper engraving. 440x560mm.

Price: £180

A bird’s-eye view of Boughton House near Kettering, Northamptonshire, and the surrounding countryside. This view shows the Tudor house, built around three sides of a courtyard, after alterations and refurbishing carried out for Ralph 1st Duke of Montagu in the 1680’s, in which he apparently remodelled the house in the style of Versailles. In the foreground is the wilderness, laid out in the French style, with avenues through the plantations, and the formally laid out gardens, with the nearby villages on the horizon. The interior of the house apparently remains much as it did when the Duke died in 1709, as most of the subsequent owners did not live in the house and it escaped modernisation. The house was bought by Thomas Wentworth 3rd Earl of Strafford from Montagu’s heirs, and now belongs to the Duke of Buccleuch.

********************************************************************************************************************

Helmsley watercolour 2.JPG (40308 bytes)Anon

Helmsley, Yorkshire.  

August 18th 1864. Watercolour and pen & ink. 150x230mm. Slight old glue staining in corners, neatly repaired loss to upper right and lower left corners.

Price:  £85 

A small, skilfully executed watercolour sketch of the market square of Helmsley, Ryedale, North Yorkshire. In the foreground is the Market Cross (later rebuilt), with the square (looking towards Bridge Street) surrounded by houses many of which still exist.   

********************************************************************************************************************

Henley 2.JPG (37091 bytes)Anon.

(Henley Regatta). 

Pencil drawing c. 1920. 380x255mm. Slight acid staining around edges and in sky.

Price:  £220 

A skilfully executed, delicate and characterful sketch of Henley on Thames and the Royal Regatta. The view shows the Thames, crossed by the five arched bridge (built 1786), with the tower of the ancient church of St. Mary projecting above the grandstand on the right. Rowing boats, skiffs and barges are dotted about on the river, crowds line both banks, and onlookers peer over the parapet of the bridge. The Regatta has been held every July since 1839, and became ‘Royal’ when Prince Albert became patron in 1851.   

********************************************************************************************************************

Death of Maj.JPG (199277 bytes)A. Kessler after John Singleton Copley. 

The Death of Major Pierson, And the Defeat of the French Troops in the Market Place of Saint Helier in the Island of Jersey, Jan. 6th 1781. 

(London, c. 1785). Copper engraving. 470x610mm. Trimmed within platemark & publication line, misc repairs affecting engraved surface, slight surface abrasion in margins and title area.

Price: £280

A large, rare, dramatic engraving showing the heroic death at the moment of victory of Major Francis Peirson (1757-81). Peirson is shown in the centre of the design, falling back into the arms of his soldiers, beneath the british Standard, while on the right women and children flee the fighting in terror. Peirson entered the army at an early age, rising to the rank of major in April 1780, when he was appointed to the 95th regiment, which was shortly afterwards stationed in Jersey. At this period the Channel Islands were subjected to the constant danger of attacks from the French, who made several futile attempts to gain possession. By far the most important of these raids was that of 6th  Jan. 1781, known as the ‘Battle of Jersey,’ when the French, under the Baron de Rullecour, a desperate adventurer, landed under cover of night and took possession of the town of St. Helier, making the lieutenant-governor, Major Moses Corbet, a prisoner in his bed. Under these circumstances the command of the troops devolved upon the youthful Peirson. Rullecour succeeded in inducing Corbet to sign a capitulation, and Elizabeth Castle was summoned to surrender, but the officer in command boldly refused to obey the order. Meanwhile the regular troops and the island militia, under the command of Major Peirson, advanced in two divisions towards the Royal Square, then the market-place, where a vigorous engagement took place, resulting in great loss to the French, who, though fighting with great obstinacy, became disordered and were compelled to retire. The victory was complete, but had been gained at the heavy price of the life of a promising young officer, for in the very moment of victory the gallant Peirson was shot through the heart, and fell dead in the arms of his grenadiers. Rullecour himself was mortally wounded, and most of the French soldiers were taken prisoners. Peirson, was interred in the parish church of St. Helier with all the honours of war, and in the presence of the States of the island, who caused a magnificent monument to be erected to his memory. Copley’s famous painting is  now in the National Gallery.

********************************************************************************************************************

Rickmansworth School.JPG (39319 bytes)Charles Knight. 

R. M. I. G. – New Senior School at Rickmansworth. 

(London, c. 1930). Etching, printed in sepia. 250x200mm. 

Price: £85 

An interesting view of the grand arched entrance to the newly built Rickmansworth School, Hertfordshire, with automobiles parked in the street.   

********************************************************************************************************************

Frederick Christian Lewis after William Wilson

Lindisfarne or Holy Island Cathedral

(London, c. 1830). Aquatint, printed in sepia, on Whatman paper, open letter proof. 480x620mm. Trimmed within platemark, misc neat marginal repairs, some affecting engraved surface. 

Price: £150

A picturesque view of the ruins of Lindisfarne Abbey on Holy Island off the coast of Northumberland, with tourists admiring the remains 

********************************************************************************************************************

F. Robson.

The Town Hall Abingdon. 

(London, c. 1880). Etching. 246 x 160mm. (sheet size)

Price:  £70

A delicately etched, unusual side view of Abingdon County Hall. This view shows the County Hall from the side and rear, with the ancient medieval houses of East St. Helen’s Street on the left. The County Hall was built around 1680 to designs by Christopher Wren and was designed to serve three purposes: the cellars as warehouses, the ground floor as a covered market, and the first floor as a courtroom. Today it houses the town’s museum.  

********************************************************************************************************************

Thomas Sandby.

Views of Windsor Great Park. 

(London, c. 1755). Copper engravings. 360x570mm 

Sandby’s famous, detailed views of the various views, vistas and buildings recently erected in Windsor Great Park. The architect, engineer and draughtsman Thomas Sandby (1721-98), had come to London from Nottingham, with his brother Paul, in 1741. In 1743 Sandby was appointed private secretary and draughtsman to William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, and accompanied him in his campaigns in Flanders and Scotland. In 1746 after his suppression of the Jacobite Rebellion, Cumberland was appointed Ranger of Windsor Great Park, and in turn appointed Sandby to be his Deputy Ranger. This afforded Sandby scope and financial security to develop his talents as both an architect and draughtsman. He made extensive alterations to the Park and its buildings and created Virginia Water, with the assistance of his brother Paul. Sandby died at the Deputy Ranger's lodge in Windsor Park on 25th June 1798, and was buried in the churchyard of Old Windsor. 

 

Title Page.

Price:  £100 

Showing the cascade at Virginia Water, with the Great Bridge in the distance.  

    

The Great Lake, near the Lodge. 

Price: £140 

Cows grazing and gardeners and gamekeepers working at the edge of the lake.   

********************************************************************************************************************

Silwood Park.JPG (45794 bytes)Anon.

Silwood Park, Berks. General View of the estate. (Copied from an old drawing). 

London, C. F. Kell c. 1860. Tinted lithograph. 300x670mm. Traces of old folds.

Price:  £140

A panoramic view, taken from across the lake, of Silwood Park, Berkshire, with reapers in the foreground and sheep grazing in the meadows. The Palladian mansion was built on the site of a much earlier house by a banker, Sir James Sibbald in 1788. In 1876 Sibbald's house was demolished and the present house, now occupied by Imperial College built in its place.    

********************************************************************************************************************

Departure Simmons.JPG (33539 bytes)Departure Return Simmons.JPG (32599 bytes) William Henry Simmons after Abraham Solomon. 

  1. The Departure. (Second Class) 
  2. The Return. (First Class) 

London, Gambart & Co. April 4th 1857. Mixed method mezzotints. 580x630mm. Dust staining, slight overall browning, scratches to surface of plate ‘a’. 

Price: The pair £500 

A pair of well known, rare, large railway subjects. In plate ‘a’ the scene is the interior of a second class railway carriage with hard, unpadded, wooden benches. A young mother, plainly dressed in a black coat, bonnet and shawl, clutches the hand of her young son, who is evidently on his way to Portsmouth to join the service of the East India Company (a recruiting poster is pasted to the wall above his head). His tearful sister sits on the bench opposite next to her brother’s baggage, a sailor is travelling with his wife in the background, numerous posters advertising ship passages to Australia and India, and other advertisements are stuck to the walls, and ships in the harbour are visible through the carriage window.  In plate ‘b’ the young man (now considerably older), has returned to England, evidently having made his fortune. He sits in backview, in a comfortably upholstered first class carriage, wearing smart military uniform, chatting to an elderly, well dressed fellow passenger, while exchanging glances with the old man’s pretty, fashionably dressed young daughter, who sits demurely crocheting in a corner of the carriage. The popular artist Abraham Solomon (1823-62), was the second son of Michael Solomon, a Leghorn-hat manufacturer. Abraham was born in Sandy Street, Bishopsgate, London and his father was the first Jew to be admitted to the freedom of the City of London.  

********************************************************************************************************************

Guernsey Government house.JPG (80577 bytes)Joseph Constantine Stadler after William Berry 

(Guernsey). The Residence of His Excellency Lt. Gen. Sir John Doyle, Bart. K.B. K.C.  &c. &c. &c. Lt. Governor.

London, 1815. Aquatint. 150x200mm. Traces of old folds. 

Price: £65 

An interesting, early view of Old Government House, Guernsey, Channel Islands. This view shows the older, three storey, central block, with its hipped roof and dormer windows, before the addition of wings on either side, from across the forecourt. General Sir John Doyle (1750-1834), born in Kilkenney, Ireland, first distinguished himself fighting during the American War of Independence. He later fought in the Netherlands and Egypt, where he raised the first British dromedary corps against Napoleon. His last daring achievement was in bringing home despatches in the following year from Naples through the midst of the banditti who then infested Italy. In 1802 he was promoted major-general, and made private secretary to the Prince of Wales, a post he resigned in 1804 to take up the appointment of lieutenant-governor of Guernsey. An exceptionally able administrator, in Guernsey he made himself very popular, reinforcing the garrison and extracting extra money for defence of the islands from the Government. He was forced out in 1815, but the grateful inhabitants of Guernsey raised a pillar to him in 1826. He died unmarried at his home in Somerset Street, Portman Square, on 8th Aug. 1834. 

********************************************************************************************************************

Haddon Hall.JPG (43241 bytes)Francois Vivares after Thomas Smith of Derby.  

A North – West View of Haddon &c. an Ancient Seat belonging to his Grace the Duke of Rutland. 

London, Oct. 26th 1766. Etching and copper engraving. 350x530mm. Trimmed within top border and just within side platemarks. 

Price: £130 

A very delicately executed, detailed view of Haddon Hall, near Bakewell, Derbyshire, a home of the Manners family. This delightful view shows horses, cattle and sheep grazing in the foreground in the park, horse riders in the meadows, and a carriage on the bridge over the River Wye, leading to the ancient fortified house. Haddon Hall came into the possession of the Manners family by marriage after the death of Sir George Vernon in 1567 and has remained in their possesion, very little altered, ever since.  

********************************************************************************************************************

Coventry 1.JPG (19670 bytes)James D. Walker.

(View of St. Michael’s and Holy Trinity, Coventry). 

Coventry, c. 1800. Etching. Original hand-colouring. 330x595mm. Slight time staining in sky, small neatly repaired hole. 

Price: £380 

A very delicately executed, detailed, rare, locally published view of Coventry, looking south, taken from Priory Row. In the centre is the ‘Old Cathedral’ church of St. Michael’s, surrounded by its extensive graveyard and on the right, separated from it by Trinity Row, is Holy Trinity Priory with its graveyard. In the distance is the High Street and and the half timbered Golden Cross Inn and on the extreme right are the half timbered buildings of Butcher Row and Broadgate. St Michael’s is now a shell, destroyed during the terrible ‘nine hour Blitz’ during the night of Thursday November 14th 1940, while the red sandstone church of Holy Trinity was one of the few buildings that escaped devastation.

********************************************************************************************************************

Main Subject Listing